Thursday, August 7, 2014

Throwback Thursday

Thursday, August 7th

It's been 15 years since I gave up Frank's Cafe in Rocky Mount.  I always wanted to make it to the year 2000 to retire, and I almost did, but things don't always work out the way we plan, do they?  It was actually 1999 when I made the difficult decision to sell the restaurant.  It meant giving up something I loved very much; all the loyal customers we'd accumulated over the years and a wait staff that became like family.

When the final day came, this beautiful cake was presented by that wait staff.  It  meant more to me than they could ever know!

And there was another cake - 



My sister made this cake for me.  She said it was in response to all the times I told her on the phone that someone else on the wait staff had quit. Someone was always quitting.   Finally,

I QUIT!


After Frank passed away, I couldn't keep the restaurant open enough hours to make it worthwhile so the day came when I turned it over to Hema's. For many years after that I enjoyed going back, sitting in the same booth I always took my lunch in.  It wasn't the same menu:- simple family style dishes like country fried steak, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans, tossed salad - or Frank's famous pizza at night - but I enjoyed it just the same.  And the new owners never once charged me for  my meal.  I really liked that :)
But what I missed most were all the people.

Memories, memories - good ones, bad ones - my life now in my memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment